Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
Are you planning a visit to Kuranda? The Australian Butterfly Sanctuary is a must-do. Here, you will wander through beautiful Rainforest Gardens and encounter different species of tropical butterflies.
About the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
The Australian Butterfly Sanctuary is home to over 1,500 brilliant tropical butterflies, making it the largest in the Southern Hemisphere!
The sanctuary is designed to replicate the butterfly’s natural Rainforest environment. As you wander through the grounds, you will enjoy close up encounters with these beautiful butterflies.
This activity is suitable for all weather conditions.
- Largest butterfly flight aviary in Australia
- Over 1,500 butterflies including Ulysses and Cairns Birdwing
- Free guided tours
- FREE guided tours included in the cost of your admission. As your guide takes you through the aviary and laboratory, you will learn about the butterfly’s life cycle and elaborate courtship rituals.
- See the world the way a butterfly does in the UV light display!
- Entrance into the Laboratory. Here, you will learn all about caterpillars as you see them in their various stages of development
- Use the sanctuary’s state of the art microscope. Using the lens, you will see the intricate details of the butterfly’s anatomy that are not visible to the naked eye. The microscope is easy to operate by all ages!
- Entrance into the educational exhibits. Watch the Cairns Birdwing emerging video & the silk moth Caterpillars live display
- Entry into the butterfly museum. View 584 different butterfly species from around the world!
What to bring
- Be sure to wear your brightest pink or red shirt to attract the butterflies!
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and water